WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative program of the National Center for Fathering focusing on improving education in our nation’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose:
1. To provide a positive and active male role-model for students during the school day
2. To provide an extra set of eyes and ears to enhance school security
Who are WATCH D.O.G.S.?
WATCH D.O.G.S. are fathers, grandfathers, uncles and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at our school.
What do WATCH D.O.G.S. do?
During the day, WATCH D.O.G.S. may play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow, mentor students, and any other activities where they actively engage with not only their own students but other students as well.
How do I join the WATCH D.O.G.S. team?
- Complete the LWSD Volunteer Application (also available outside the school office).
- Review the Watch DOGS presentation.
- Sign up by logging into MySchoolAnywhere and click SignUp on the menu.
- Order T-shirts. Every WATCH D.O.G. must wear an official WATCH D.O.G.S. t-shirt while ‘on duty’. Consider ordering shirts for your students who can wear them proudly on days you’re the WATCH D.O.G. on duty.
- Show up and have fun!
- Don’t forget to come back here after your great day and take the Watch D.O.G.S End of Day Survey. Your feedback helps shape and improve this program
Did you know that there are several companies that match volunteer hours with cash – they range from $10-$50 per hour? If you work for one of the generous companies below, please let them know the hours you served as a Watch D.O.G.
- General Electric
- Gap Corporation
- Exxon Mobile
- Car Max
- Johnson & Johnson
- Outerwall (Coinstar/Redbox)
- Conoco Phillips
- Time Warner
- Real Networks
Who are the Peter Kirk Elementary Top Dog Coordinators?
Steve Squillace and Geoff Lecovin. Contact by email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I become part of the Top Dog Coordinator Team?
Let someone (Top Dog Coordinators or Peter Kirk Principal) know and we’ll get you trained and helping out before you know it. Time commitment is minimal; mostly emails and phone calls (to be done in the evenings at home) and/or helping plan WATCH D.O.G.S. events twice a year.
Where can I find more information?