The Principal, Teachers and PTSA of Peter Kirk believe that it is critical for children to develop a strong sense of volunteerism at a young age. Volunteerism can be a key contributor to self-esteem, compassion for others, appreciation for diversity of people and cultures and pride in their school and community.
Eagles in Action is a service learning program for all kids who attend Peter Kirk. Students are encouraged to volunteer their time in the following ways:
- At Peter Kirk; during school hours as part of the Job Squad, Lunch helpers, Green team and Safety Patrol programs.
- At Peter Kirk; assisting with school activities and events. Such as the back to school barbecue, science night, art night and Peter Kirk Pride Day.
- In their community; Hope Link, food banks, clean up days in the City of Kirkland, church events and community events. Please note that this does include time for volunteering in group activities like Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.
- Student Council hours do not count, however since that is an elected position.
How it Works
Watch the student presentation (PPT), or read below.
When a student has completed 10 hours of service time, they will be awarded a Peter Kirk Eagle (see photo) and a certificate from the principal. They will also be recognized in the Eagle Flyer, in either the MLK assembly or year end assembly and year book. Students can carry over their volunteer time from year to year. There will be service pins awarded to those students surpassing 10 hours:
- 10 hours – Eagle
- 25 hours – Bronze pin
- 40 hours – Silver pin
- 50 hours – Gold pin and name added to plaque
Submit Your Student Volunteer Hours Online
Students can submit their hours from our online form or turn the forms directly to the front desk or to their teacher to put in the office box in their classroom. Paper forms will be available in the office. Students must have a parent or authorized person sign the form after completion of the activity. Once the time is recorded the form will be returned back to the student for their safe keeping.
Note: While adults who volunteer for school district events are required to have a background check, Peter Kirk school, PTSA and Eagles in Action coordinators are not responsible for checking the backgrounds of volunteers for outside organizations. Parents are responsible for assessing the suitability of all volunteer opportunities for their children.