Reflections Art Contest is an optional annual art contest that is a National PTSA program where students take a given theme and produce an art reflection of that theme.
This year’s theme is WITHIN REACH.
The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works. Young artists get involved through their local PTA or PTSA. A student may submit an entry in any of the six arts areas, detailed below.
Deadline: November 3, 2017
A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are:
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography: color or black and white, including techniques: photo-gram, retouched, montage, sandwich and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition.
Participation is organized by student age and grade levels. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels. The grade divisions are:
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Student Entry Form